LIPS 2015 is for those who procure and those who supply construction to the Public Sector. The Conference is structured in a Spanish language workshop (Introduction to Lean Construction – September 16th) and 2 days of sessions with the participation of recognised experts (September 17th and 18th) which will take place in the Catalonia Institute of Construction Technology – ITeC headquarters, located in Barcelona, Spain.
The conference will be moderated by Dr. Glenn Ballard, who launched the Lean in Public Sector Construction (LIPS) initiative in the United States in 2007 to promote the use of Lean principles and methods in public sector construction projects. Dr. Ballard is cofounder of the Lean Construction Institute (LCI) and Research Director of the University of California Berkeley’s Project Production Systems Laboratory. LIPS conferences have been held around the world; e.g. Karlsruhe, Germany, 2009; Washington DC, USA, 2010; Sydney, Australia, 2011; Tampere, Finland, 2012 Nottingham UK, 2013; and Berkeley, California, 2014 have hosted the event.
In these previous conferences, public sector organizations have presented projects in which have applied these principles, which represent a change in the paradigm of the sector. Some of these organizations were:
- Finnish Transport Agency
- University of California San Francisco
- Melbourne Water, Australia
- HighwaysAgency, UK
- Deutsche Bahn, Germany
- Infrastructure Alliancing projects in Australia
- Tehran Metroline Tunnel 6, Iran
- San Diego Community College, USA
- Anglian Water, UK – Framework
The key topics of LIPS 2015 Barcelona are:
- Introduction to lean construction and the potential savings for public sector clients
- Results achieved from applying lean to public sector projects
- Organizational and procedural changes that public bodies have introduced in order to do things in a different way
- Overcoming the obstacles to procuring lean and other innovations in construction–European experiences of new public procurement processes
- What have we learnt from our first steps? Reports on the experience of people and organizations getting started on their lean journey.
- There will be reports from projects in: